Friday, September 10, 2010

Crazy Good Coconut Ginger Chicken 'n Rice


This whole recipe is cooked in the rice maker.  "Shut the front door!" Yes, seriously the whole thing, not just the rice.  I found this recipe in Food & Wine Magazine, and I have been so excited to try it out.  I must say it exceeded my expectations GREATLY.  The chicken was cooked perfectly and stayed moist.  The combination is delish and a bit exotic.  (Think trendy Asian-Fusion restaurant take out.) Towards the end, the rice maker starts sending out this lovely coconut-ginger steam.  For a second I thought to my self, "Who's cooking?"... oh yeah it's me, but I am not doing a thing!!! :D  If you have a rice maker, you MUST try this recipe.  If not... well, I would seriously consider getting one just for this recipe.  (Its that good!)  This has definitely inspired me to come up with some of my own creations for sure!

Crazy Good Coconut Ginger Chicken 'n Rice
(adapted from "Rice-Cooker Ginger Chicken and Rice" by Laurent Gras of Chicago's L20)

Servings: 4 • Calories: 399 • Fat: 11g • Carbs: 41g • Fiber: 1g • WW Points:9
** (If you use Lite Coconut Milk ) Servings: 4 • Calories: 343 • Fat: 5g • Carbs: 41g • Fiber: 1g • WW Points:7


  Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken (cut into 1 inch chunks)
  • 1 cup of rice
  • 1 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)
  • 3/4 cup of water (hot)
  • 3 cups fresh spinach (packed)
  • 2 inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and cut into match sticks)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • salt and pepper to taste


I was so busy earlier taking about how good this recipe tastes, I forgot to mention the best part.  It is so easy!  (I mean "crock-pot meal easy" with out having to wait all day for it to cook.) The hardest part is cutting up the ginger.  Here's a tip to make it easier:  Use a spoon to peel the ginger.  (Sounds strange, I know.)  Just use the spoon to rub off the skin.  I find it so much easier versus using a peeler. 

Dissolve the chicken bouillon cube in 3/4 cup hot water.  I stuck it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then it dissolved easier.  In the rice cooker, add the rice and ginger.  Gently toss the two together real quick.  Add the chicken, spreading it out to an even layer.  Add the spinach.  Pour the coconut milk and bouillon  broth over the top.  Add salt and pepper to your liking.



Close the lid and turn on the rice maker like you normally would.  Cook for 45 minutes.  (For me the rice cooker switched to warming mode at around the 30 minute mark.  I still waited the full 45 minutes.)



Stir up the goodness and enjoy!  I love how easy this recipe is.  Want a bite?






1 comment:

  1. NO WAY! That is AWESOME! I have almost everything I need for this too, just need the spinach. This will make a very yummy lunch :) I'm so glad I found your blog on foodieblogroll.com !

    ReplyDelete