Friday, August 6, 2010

Skinny Banana Bread

Who doesn't love banana bread?  Okay, maybe I feel that everyone does because I myself love it.  There is something so comforting about fresh out the oven banana bread.  (With the typical recipe calling for a stick of butter and a whole cup of sugar, no wonder it is comforting!)  So I took my favorite banana bread recipe and revamped it using only a quarter of the butter and sugar.  Unsweetened apple sauce really deserves all the credit here.  I still don't quite understand how you can substitute apples for butter, but it works and it is DELISH!  It is still SO moist and just as comforting in my opinion.  Honestly, I can't really find a good reason to go back to making it the original way. :-D


Skinny Banana Bread
Servings: 10 • Calories: 129 • Fat: 3g • Carbs: 23g • Fiber: 1g • WW Points: 3


        Ingredients
  • 3 medium bananas, mashed (best if over ripe)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup Splenda
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • cinnamon (couple dashes)

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with your choice of non stick spray.  (I like to use a butter flavored one.)


    Mash bananas to desired consistency.  I like chunks in my bread, so I left it pretty lumpy.  Add Splenda and mix. Set the banana mash aside.


    In a large bowl, mix sugar, butter, and egg on medium.  Add apple sauce and vanilla extract to bowl and mix.  


    Sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix on medium a minute or two until well incorporated.  Pour in bananas and mix on low or by hand, careful to not over mix banana chunks. 


    Scrape all the batter into the pan, taking care to not get any on the sides to prevent from burning.  Once in the pan, I like to give the pan a quick tap or two to make any bubbles come out and help the batter distribute evenly in the pan.


    Cook in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.  This can vary greatly depending on your oven.



    With all that butter cut out from the original recipe, you have room for just a pat of whipped butter. YUM!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment